Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Definitely not "vomit free since '93"!

So I forgot the cord to connect my camera to the computer so I will try to post pictures once I kind find one here in Morogoro.

Friday we had our weekly meeting at Ricky's (a cafe with Western style food) so Michael, Nicole and I went a little nuts and had stir fry and ice cream for lunch! It was really good! :)

On Saturday we went with the drama group to do an HIV/AIDS outreach presentation in Kiloka (a rural part of Morogoro). Our job was to do a pre and post survey to see if people at the event learned anything about HIV from the presentation. The best part for me was the ride in and out. The view was absolutely gorgeous!!!

Sunday we all went for a swim at the Morogoro hotel and enjoyed our day off (not that the days here are super busy but it was still really nice). Unfortunately about half way through the day I started to feel sick. On the way home we'd just stepped off the daladala when I threw up into a pile of garbage. I felt nauseous and dizzy for the rest of the night and the next day. Fortunately yesterday I was able to just sleep, rest and read for most of the day and I started to feel better and then I woke up Tuesday morning feeling much better! I didn't have a fever so it wasn't malaria but as Micah put it, it's just one of those strange african sicknesses.

More unpleasant news, Michael had his room broken into a few days ago. They cut the wire over his window, reached in and stole everything he had on his table including his medication, books and laptop. There's still a chance he might get his stuff back so everyone's keeping their fingers crossed. Both Michael and Nicole and my homestay families were so upset that this had happened and they and the YCI staff have been great about doing everything that they can. It sucks too because all three of us have been really good about always locking our doors (with so many friends and neighbours in and out all the time it's easy for stuff to go missing) but you don't think about things like not keeping stuff next to windows until something like this happens. Fortunately for Nicole and I our room is more secure because our window faces into the family courtyard and the only thing next to our window is our bed so we would definitely wake up if someone tried to get in!

Nicky, the grandson of our Mama is over at the house all the time and is definitely the best part of Tanzania! He is six and is full of beans! Yesterday he took both mine and Nicole's glasses and was wearing them both! He's also always hamming it up for photos and loves taking pictures of other people.

Keep the e-mails coming as I love reading about what's going on back home!
Time to walk back to my homestay for lunch and then English class tonight!
Love from Moro!!!!
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment