Saturday, November 21, 2009

End of Volunteering

This is my last post from Morogoro.

On Monday we get on a bus to go to Dar es Salaam for a day of debriefing with the staff and Zanzibar volunteers. Then I get on a plane for Montreal. I'll be in Montreal for six days and back home on November 29th.

This past week has been filled with goodbyes. We had our last English and Computer class which Nicole and I filled with a review activity and the post-tests. (Michael was recovering from malaria, but he is now feeling fully recovered!)Then on Thursday we had the final graduation for those that had attended enough classes to get the certificate. It was great to be able to recognize their hardwork. Then we took a bunch of pictures with the students. On Wednesday we took the Good Governance class on a fieldtrip to learn about Governance in Tanzania and also had post-tests and a graduation ceremony. We also stopped by the drama practice to say goodbye.

Yesterday we went to the Faraja Trust Fund meeting (our partner organization, a local Tanzanian NGO) where they gave us certificates of appreciation and t-shirts to thank us for our work. It was really sweet. Then we had our regular YCI weekly meeting where we debriefed the week and got our personal evaluations (mine was surprising similar to my Emotional Intelligence results for those of you reading from the SPDC so I think Makho was pretty accurate). Finally last night we went to dinner at the Oasis Hotel with the YCI staff. It was probably the best meal we've had since leaving Canada so it was definitely a nice evening. We also saw tons of bats flying overhead and frog decided to hang out under Makho's chair so it was a cool night.

This weekend we're just saying our goodbyes to our families and packing.

I'll try to post at least once more about my time in Dar es Salaam and Montreal.
Thank you to everyone who has been reading this! I've loved hearing from all of you and it's really helped me feel connected to life back in Canada. I can't wait to see you all in person in just over a week!

Love, for the last time, from Moro!
Melissa-

No comments:

Post a Comment